There are many reasons to move employees to a new location. Maybe the business is moving to a new headquarters, or perhaps a single department is taking an assignment in a new locale. There are also different types of relocations. Some are domestic while others are international. Regardless of the specific type of relocation that a company needs to manage, outsourcing to a relocation company is usually the best practice.
What Are Relocation Services?
The field of relocation services entails much more than people generally realize. There are many tasks that a company needs to plan before carrying out the relocation policy:
- International relocations require legal documentation such as visas.
- Every employee family needs safe and adequate housing.
- The company must have sufficient workable office space at the new location.
- Employee and company property must be moved from point A to point B without damages.
- The school-age children of employees require educational opportunities.
- Married employees may need help finding work for the trailing spouse.
- Employees and their families may need language development and cultural integration courses.
- Employees must understand how to pay taxes on their earned income.
- The company must assess whether relocation is a wise financial choice in the long term. It must address ways to make relocation more affordable without sacrificing services that employees and their families are entitled to receive.
One benefit of using a relocation management company is that they have established a system and contacts whereby these and other important considerations are assessed. The right relocation services firm can build a logical relocation plan and then put the plant into action.
Why Are Relocation Experts More Successful?
Whether starting from scratch or using the client company’s current relocation policy as the foundation, relocation services firms are skilled and experienced. They can relocate businesses and employees more quickly and affordably than most businesses can do on their own. Corporate relocation management works in certain key ways:
- Professionals assess the costs and benefits associated with relocation. These factors are addressed and weighed against each other to find the most efficient method of relocation.
- Mobility counselors work with employees to find housing. Many employees are able to qualify for mortgages if they plan to remain in the new location for a significant period of time.
- Relocation managers tailor the relocation policy to work with the company’s unique culture and goals. Employees arrive at the new location ready to be productive rather than weighed down with burdens.
- Companies can choose between a self-move or a full-service van line. Regardless of the method chosen, a global relocation company keeps inventory of employee and company property. Relocation managers are able to keep track of employees in real time to ensure that the relocation is handled smoothly and without serious setbacks.
Making the announcement to employees that they will be relocated is a difficult task. Employees may not have a completely optimistic response, and some employees may even choose not to join the group at the new location. Relocation can be a trying time for a business no matter how large or small it is. Outsourcing a business’s relocation needs is practical.
Choosing a relocation services firm reduces stress all around. The company leaders have fewer specifics to manage on their own, allowing them to focus on running the business even during relocation. Employees are less stressed because they have mobility counseling to help them find housing, education, employment, and other vital resources for their families.
Instead of trying to accomplish relocation alone, businesses should look to the experts. Building and carrying out a custom relocation plan is not easy, but it is manageable with the right professionals to assist from beginning to end.